When one supplier is late, the easiest advice is, “Wait and ship everything together.”
I do not think that is always good advice.
I also do not think “split it immediately” is always right. Before giving either answer, I want to know what the late item is and what the project is trying to protect.
Our completed Canadian household project shows why this decision appears. The first group was recorded as complete on May 25, 2026. The second was recorded as complete on June 17—a 23-day gap. The container was loaded on June 22.
The public case does not record a customer decision to split the shipment, and it does not publish storage charges. I will not invent either detail. The dates show that one household shipment contained two groups recorded as complete 23 days apart before loading.
For example—not as a description of this Canadian case—if the late item is a decorative chair, waiting may be reasonable. If it is a door needed before the wall can be closed, or a cabinet required before the countertop can be measured, the same delay can affect the construction sequence. That is why the product matters before the freight answer.
I normally look at four consequences.
First, what happens to the project date if we wait? Not the optimistic arrival date—the real installation or move-in date.
Second, when would storage charges begin? Under Buildcargo’s current published warehouse terms, the storage clock starts on the calendar day the first batch for a shipment reaches the Shenzhen warehouse. Days 1–14 are free. From day 15, storage is RMB 100 per shipment per calendar day. The written terms for a new shipment control. These current terms do not show what the Canadian customer paid.
Third, what fixed work repeats if we split? A second shipment may mean another booking, document set, customs movement, minimum freight charge and final-delivery appointment.
Fourth, is the smaller shipment still operationally sensible? The packed dimensions, weight, route capacity and unloading method may make a split that seems urgent on paper expensive or impractical.
I want the customer to see those consequences while there is still time to choose. “Supplier expects Friday” is not the same as “cargo received, checked and ready to load.” If the date is uncertain, that uncertainty belongs in the decision.
Sometimes the right answer is to wait. Sometimes it is to move the critical goods and let the rest follow. Sometimes it is to send one completed group and hold a late, non-critical item for a later shipment. Experience does not produce one automatic answer.
It produces a better question: what becomes more expensive if we wait, and what becomes more expensive if we do not?
What becomes more expensive if we wait, and what becomes more expensive if we do not?

